Sunday, March 25, 2012

Photos from La Rue Mouffetard

I've really been slacking in posting my other dining experiences in Paris, and I really want to share with you  all the fabulous dinner we had at L'Ardoise, my first taste of authentic Moroccan cuisine, and the great bargain bistro serving steak frites and dirt-cheap carafes of wine, but I've been too lazy...and now I'm thinking that it might be so late that it's become irrelevant.  In an effort to see who's actually reading this, I'd like you all to post comments if you want me to describe the rest of my dining experiences in Paris.  If nobody requests it, I might get to it eventually in between reviews of other local eateries, recipes, and other bits of gastronomy, but it won't be at the top of my priorities.

Anyway, I thought I'd post some photos I took while strolling down La Rue Mouffetard, which is a quaint, postcard-perfect street in the St. Germain neighborhood of Paris that has become quite the little stretch of food paradise. Besides being recommended to me by a great friend, it was also the location of an important scene in one of my all-time favorite movies, Amélie.  In addition to hosting a weekly open-air market, La Rue Mouffetard (Mouffetard street) is also home to many bakeries, pastry shops, cheesemongers, butcher shops, and stores specializing in all manner of cooking equipment.  Furthermore, there is a great selection of restaurants that range in all manner of cuisines, including Alpine French restaurants serving raclette and fondue, Basque restaurants, eateries specializing in the cuisine of the French Caribbean (very different from Haitian cuisine), Thai restaurants, sushi bars, and even a Parisian take on a Chipotle-style burrito bar.


A cute play on words!



One of the many cheese shops.  This was more cheese than I've ever seen all in one place before.  


Chickens roasting on top, and ducks roasting beneath them.  The fat and juices drip down into the potatoes while they roast on the bottom, thus imparting them with the flavor of the poultry.  

Butcher shop and charcuterie

One of many pastry shops on this street.  Each one was a work of art.








No comments:

Post a Comment