Monday, January 2, 2012

Injera on my mind...

With the closing of Miami's first Ethiopian restaurant, Sheba, more than two years ago now, as well as the subsequent closing of Kaffa, located just down the street, one now has to fly up to DC just to have some Doro Wat, Kitfo, T'ej, and freshly roasted Ethiopian coffee.  What a surprise that Miami just wasn't ready for Ethiopian cuisine [insert sarcastic tone here].  The chief complaint I've heard - and quite the ethnocentric one - was "where's the rice?"  It seems as if Miami's Latin American community has it so ingrained in their psyche that any type of stew NEEDS to be served with rice that if it's not, there's just something wrong with it.  Ethiopia's staple is not rice, but a spongy sourdough pancake called injera.  Add to the lack of rice the fact that injera is grey-colored, spongy, stretchy, and has an unmistakable tanginess to it and there's no surprise as to why Miami's two Ethiopian restaurants shut down within months of each other.  There is no escaping injera in Ethiopian cuisine, just like there's no escaping rice in Asian and Latin American cuisine, especially considering that besides being the starch of your meal, it is also your eating utensil and your plate.  If you don't like injera, then chances are that you won't enjoy Ethiopian cuisine, and to enjoy Ethiopian cuisine you just have to buckle down and develop a taste for injera...that is, unless, you had already fallen in love with it on first bite.

The very qualities that deter most people from injera are the same that attract people to it and to Ethiopian cuisine, in general.  Ethiopian dishes, besides being laden with spices and chiles, also use a great deal of spiced clarified butter, called nitter kibbeh, which gives many Ethiopian dishes an exquisite richness.  The sourness of the injera cuts that richness, and its sponginess helps to soak up the juices.

I had been wanting to experiment with making Ethiopian cuisine at home, but without injera, there is just no way I can do justice to the cuisine.  Unlike rice, couscous, or even naan, injera is something that is hard to find ingredients for, hard to find equipment for making it, and a little complicated to make.  Injera is made from teff flour, which comes from one of the smallest grains in the world and is native to Ethiopia.  Without teff, you cannot make injera, and thus cannot make an Ethiopian meal.  Luckily, I was able to find teff flour made by Bob's Red Mill, which produces phenomenal grains and cereals, at a Publix Greenwise Market.  That was the clue from fate that 2012 will be the year in which I experiment with Ethiopian cuisine and injera.

Like sourdough, the batter for making injera needs to be fermented, and you always need to start with an injera "starter" just like when you make yogurt.  I spent a greater portion of last night doing a bit of research.  I found one recipe from an Anglo woman's blog who has a great love for Ethiopian culture.  She goes through step-by-step processes of how to make an injera starter, and how to make VERY authentic injera.  She's even gone through the trouble of getting an electric mitad (injera griddle) and other traditional implements.  You can check out her instructions and instructional videos here.  The other recipe seems a lot less complicated and actually comes from an Ethiopian webiste, called www.ethiopianrestaurant.com.  I'm thinking a fusion of both recipes would be ideal.  I'm not quite ready to make injera yet, but will definitely keep you posted of when I do venture into my first batch of of it....hopefully with some good Doro Wat and even better company.

4 comments:

  1. tried to make the injera yet? I will be happy to sample!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made injera this past year, as well as doro wat using a spice mixture someone gave me. The results weren't too good for both, so I didn't post it here. I will have to try again and when I get better results on both the injera and the doro wat, I will post recipes and techniques on the blog. The issues I found with making injera batter is that teff does not have as much gluten as wheat, so it was hard to get a stretchy batter from pure teff. Additionally, being in South Florida there are temperature and humidity issues that don't exist in Ethiopia and other parts of the country. While the recipe I followed suggested letting the injera batter ferment over 3 days on the kitchen counter, by the time I was ready to make the injera, the batter was "over fermented", which is something I did not think possible, and I had to feed it some white flour and wait a while. Additionally, trying to make injera with just the teff flour batter yielded a pancake that broke very easily and remained slimy on one side.....almost as if you were trying to make a pancake out of very thin mashed potatoes. A lot of recipes on the internet suggest mixing different proportions of white wheat flour and teff flour to get a good consistency, so the next time I make injera (and Ethiopian food) I will try that.

      Also, the spice mixture for the doro wat I used was pre-salted and had dehydrated onions (which I did not know about until I added it to the dish). Additionally, I think it had gone rancid. Next time I will be making my own berbere paste, which is easy to do if you cook a lot of Indian food (which I do!).

      Nitter kibbeh, the spiced clarified butter, was a total success and I will also post instructions and recipes for that when I have successful results for the injera and doro wat.

      Thank you for commenting, and please continue to read my blog!

      Delete
  3. There is a new Ethiopian Restaurant that is opening at the Yellow Green Farmer's Market in Hollywood, Florida. People can finally get it authentic Ethiopian food without traveling out of South Florida. If you want to see the website go to www.southfloridaethiopianrestaurant.com

    ReplyDelete