Sunday, January 22, 2012

Best Pizza in South Florida

Some people, like my dad, refer to pizza as "pan con vomitao" (bread with vomit).  I'm sure he's a very small and very rare minority, because to many (myself included) pizza is one of the perfect foods.  Done right, it's actually a pretty balanced meal containing all the basic food groups and can actually be quite healthy if eaten in moderation.  Pizza is also one of those foods that even when it's not that great, it's still pretty good, and very few people that I know will throw out a pizza unless it's absolutely terrible to the point of being inedible.

Unlike other American cities - particularly those in the northeast - Miami really isn't blessed with a significant Italian community, which reflects in our pizzeria options.  Independent pizzerias are not that abundant, and even when you find one, it can be twice the price and actually half the quality of one of the commercial chains.  If you don't believe me, I have two words for you:  Rey's Pizza.  Miami people will know what I'm talking about.  There are a few good pizza places in Miami that are worth mentioning and have a strong local following, like Frankie's, Casola's, Miami's Best PizzaPizza Rustica, and Steve's.  They're all good places for pizza, but I wouldn't consider them the best.

A pizza that would be a contender for the best has to have the following:  1) a crust that is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside like a French baguette, 2) said crust must be able to withstand all the toppings without falling apart and turning into mush, 3) a sauce to remember, 4) good mozzarella.  Out of all the pizza places I've been to in Miami, none can hold a candle to Andiamo when it comes to these qualities.  On top of having a perfect crust, phenomenal sauce, and top quality cheese, Andiamo has the most well thought-out selection of specialty pizzas, a great salad, and a unique ambiance that is second to none.  Andiamo is actually one of my favorite places to just be in all of South Florida.  I can honestly just sit there and take in the scene without any food, and I'll be perfectly content.  Do you want to know where to find me if I've had a rough day and need to take a load off?  It's Andiamo.

Andiamo is located at the southern entryway to MiMo (Miami Modern District), which was my beloved home for one tumultuous year and one neighborhood that I hold near and dear to my heart.  It's location is known as the 54th Street Station, and is just a walk across the street from Soyka, the News Lounge (awesome happy hour 7 days a week), and Sushi Siam, as well as a salon, a gym, and several boutiques (including one that offers the best psychic reading I've ever had for the least amount of money I've ever spent).  Maybe now you're realizing why I love this place so much.  Andiamo's actual restaurant space is located in an old mid century car dealership, and it's the industrial-age design that will first captivate you.  Most of the seating is outdoors under a huge metal covering that used to protect the cars from the elements years ago.  You sill always find an eclectic selection of hipsters, models, families, artists, and just plain interesting people dining at Andiamo no matter when you go, but there is always a table available and hardly ever a wait to be seated.  Service is prompt, but never rushed, which is great because the people-watching here rivals that of Lincoln Road in Miami Beach.

Beer is the beverage of choice, but their iced tea is also great if you don't want to drink alcohol.  When I'm in the mood, I usually get a Peroni.  Andiamo offers breadsticks and a few other appetizers of which I can't remember because their house salad is probably one of the best ones you will have at any pizza place - a combination of romaine lettuce, cucumbers, red onions, kalamata olives, chickpeas, carrots, and wedges of tomatoes in a house vinaigrette.  The real draw to Andiamo, of course, are their pizzas.  You can have a simple Margherita or pepperoni pizza and have a pizza moment unlike any you've ever had in South Florida offering a perfect crust with just the right amount of char, a chunky and tangy sauce studded with torn pieces of fresh basil, and quality mozzarella that stretches about a foot with each bite you take.  However, you really should not pass up one of of their many pizza creations.  

A pizzeria's own topping combinations and unique creations can be quite frightening and usually end up being regrettable.  I've personally had a few situations involving mashed potatoes and chicken marsala that I wouldn't care to relive.  I can honestly say without a doubt that almost every pizza creation at Andiamo is perfect!  I say "almost" because I haven't tried all of them yet, being addicted to some of my favorites.  Reading the descriptions, though, it's easy to tell that a lot of thought - and maybe even trial and error - has gone into formulating each combination of toppings for each pizza, and no matter how many toppings are on an Andiamo creation, the crust never gives in and will always have that combination of crispiness and chewiness.  My favorite is the Portobello, which is topped with Andiamo's homemade sauce, portobello mushrooms, slivers of sun dried tomatoes, a chiffonade of basil, caramelized onions, goat cheese, mozzarella, and a drizzle of truffle oil.  When I want something different, I get the Genovese, which contains no sauce or cheese.  In its stead, it's topped with thin slices of rosemary roasted new potatoes, fresh garlic, caramelized onions, pancetta, and gorgonzola cheese.  Another favorite of mine is the Bella Bambina, which is topped with tomato sauce, mozzarella, pancetta, caramelized onions, and gouda cheese.  Andiamo also offers one of the best barbecue pizzas in South Florida, containing a combination of BBQ chicken, BBQ sauce, gouda, red onions, and cilantro.

I have tried pizza joints before  tried Andiamo and many pizzas afterwards from Kendall to Boca Raton.  Tucci's in Boca comes close in quality but lacks in Andiamo's selection and creativity.  Every other pizza I've had just makes me wish I had gone to Andiamo.

Andiamo!
5600 Biscayne Boulevard  
Miami, FL 33137
(305) 762-5751

No comments:

Post a Comment